All Collections
Participate Learning teachers
What documents do I need to travel outside of the U.S. as a J-1 visa holder?
What documents do I need to travel outside of the U.S. as a J-1 visa holder?

Tips and recommendations for international travel for J-1 visa holders.

TS Admissions avatar
Written by TS Admissions
Updated over a week ago

Great question! U.S. immigration can be increasingly difficult to navigate, so we want to take this opportunity to remind you of the following tips for both J-1 and J-2 travel to avoid delays and confusion:

  • Keep color copies of your passport ID page and immigration documents (DS-2019, I-94 forms) in your purse or wallet.

  • J-2 dependents should keep their Employment Authorization Document (EAD) with them at all times along with DS-2019 form(s) and I-94 documents. 

  • Take a snapshot on your smartphone of your passport photo page. Save the photos to your phone's password-protected Favorites folder for easy access.

  • Be sure your DS-2019 form's travel validation signature is up-to-date at all times, and that you take all DS-2019 forms that you have ever been issued when traveling outside of the U.S. The DS-2019 form's signature is valid for one year from the date that it was last signed.

  • When traveling out of the country, carry 2 months’ of paystubs proving income with you. 

Note that these recommendations apply to all foreign nationals, not only to J-1 visa holders.

If you have concerns or questions please contact Teacher Resources at [email protected].

Did this answer your question?