Great question! U.S. immigration can be increasingly difficult to navigate, so we want to take this opportunity to remind you of the following tips for both J-1 and J-2 travel to avoid delays and confusion:
- Keep color copies of your passport ID page and immigration documents (DS-2019, I-94 forms) in your purse or wallet.
- J-2 dependents should keep their Employment Authorization Document (EAD) with them at all times along with DS-2019 form(s) and I-94 documents.
- Take a snapshot on your smartphone of your passport photo page. Save the photos to your phone's password-protected Favorites folder for easy access.
- Be sure your DS-2019 form's travel validation signature is up-to-date at all times, and that you take all DS-2019 forms that you have ever been issued when traveling outside of the U.S. The DS-2019 form's signature is valid for one year from the date that it was last signed.
- When traveling out of the country, carry 2 months’ of paystubs proving income with you.
Note that these recommendations apply to all foreign nationals, not only to J-1 visa holders. If you have concerns or questions please contact Teacher Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org.